 Space / 19874
Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 03:10:08 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jordan D. Greer writes:
In lugnet.space, John P. Henderson writes:
In lugnet.space, Kyle Keppler writes:
Soudns inneresting, but waaaaay too complicated. Counting the length of my
ships is bad enough, let alone calcuating anything. I prefer to call my stuff
big, really big, insanely big, and ludicris big.

But I think Jon's SHIP term is good enough for me.

Haha!  :)
I hope someday that I can build a ludicrous big ship.  Most of mine are
sorta small, fairly small, and diminutively small.  :)

(The Terrorformer and the Armegeddon being two exceptions of course.)

-H.

Don't worry, building large ships is actually easier than it might seem. I
was building mere 100 studish long ships for years, then I decided to make
the jump to large ships. I now have built a 240 or stud long ship which
weighs upward of 25 or so pounds. Though I have yet to photograph it.. If
you're anything like me, losing interest in or being dissatisfied with the
project is the biggest obstacle.

Anyhow, since all of our ships are built of the same materials, I think that
for comparitive volume would be the best measurement of ship size. Plus, for
very large ships it's often difficult to ascertain mass.

Why not take a picture of the space craft, that way, we can all enjoy your
work?  We are all anxious to see what it looks like so please feel free to
show us your work.  Mine may be crummy but at least I am going to be proud
of what I did with my diminutive collection.  Unlike some of you, I do not
have six-digit incomes so that I could afford all of these nice, huge LEGO
sets, so I have to work with what little money that I get over the years.  I
am sure that it is a nice space craft nonetheless.  I am somewhat busy with
my attempt at a capital ship, capital, at least to most of LUGNET, anyway,
so I can not show you what mine looks like for the moment, anyway.  I plan
on getting me one more of those 1,200 piece #3033 LEGO tubs soon as well as
possibly getting a 1,000 piece LEGO Creator (the tub WITHOUT the people) tub
at my new Wal-Mart SuperCenter for my upcoming birthday and maybe one or two
of those $10 LEGO FreeStyle red buckets after the 1,200 piece LEGO tub (I am
23 already?  Time sure does fly.).  The LEGO Creator set has a lot of nice
pieces, as do the other LEGO sets that I mentioned, besides, I need some
windows on some other parts of my space craft.

I wish to have more experience in making wider space craft but then I would
not have such long space craft....:(  Decisions, decisions....are they ever
easy in life?

Jesse Long