 Space / 19699
Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 04:47:37 GMT

  In Traveller, spaceships use a convention of how much hydrogen might
be displaced by the ship.  (Presumably, the authors concluded that simple
hydrogen is about as close to empty space as you can get and still have
measurable mass.  Also presumably, hydrogen is less dense than water, and
thus a 1000 ton spaceship is actually larger than a 1000 ton seaship.)

I don't have the exact text to quote, but my friends explain it as follows:

Each cubic space of 1.5 meters X 3 meters X 3 meters (roughly 5 feet X 10
feet X 10 feet) equals 1 ton of liquid hydrogen displacement.

Whomever created "Traveller" obviously didn't think things through. Nor did
(s)he know much about physics or space. Mass is a MUCH better way of
comparing the sizes of space vessels, since it needs to be known to engineer
many systems on a ship. "Hydrogen displacement" for a space vessel is an
utterly useless measurement.
For our purposes, a conversion based on the actual volume of a ship (which
should be measured in cubic centimeters or meters) would be best. If your
scale is 100:1, then simply multiply the ship's actual volume by 100^3 to
get the fictional volume.