 Space / 19706
Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:53:00 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:
Sounds cool.  Of course, the 5-foot high wall thing is a bit off, but for
the sake of simplicity we can say that 8x8x5 studs equals ton.

Yes, and it was this relatively convenient conversion that made me think
this measurment might be useful for some of us who build in ABS.

Sounds like a cool idea!  I wonder if the actual measurements taken in the
game RPG Traveller is true, though.

Based on the other commentary I have seen, I would guess no.  But I still
feel it was worthy of mentioning.

Still, since hydrogen IS the lightest element, I guess it would be a lot
lighter then water etc....

Can't wait to see this put to practicle use.

Not sure if there is any practical use.  I was thinking it might be good for
some impractical-yet-trivial-sci-fi use.  I think of it like the old
default-fake-jargon that I have heard in several sci-fi's now: "We need to
reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."  I have heard that phrase on Star
Trek, on Dr. Who, and even on an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I
always get a chuckle when I hear phrases like that.  (Note: You cannot
reverse the polarity of neutrons, as neutrons do not have polarity!)  But
such silly things sound cool, so they are staple for sci fi.

-H.