 Space / 19074
Re: p3b4 optional rules mines/sensors longish
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:14:20 GMT

   I must admit, I always envisioned this as a miniature-style wargame more
than an abstract card-type game.

I wanted to make something other than a miniatures style game as we already
have Brikwars, Lego Wars, Minifig death, Mechatron etc. etc.

   Making it a miniature based game will allow people to build units other
than mechs - wheeled / tracked vehicles, static gun turrets for defense etc.

I think you could do this even in an abstract game. You just need to find an
abstract way of portraying their particular characteristics

Using 48x48 plates as the gameboard kind of nullifies the portability!
   I prefer the idea of just being able to use anything to game on - just a
table at a convention with some objects for blocking terrain.

If it were to be a minitures type game this would be the way to keep it
portable.

- You could have resource zones (mines, farms etc.) which a robot with the
right attachment could harvest, giving more parts to build with.

  A nice idea, but it may slow the game down. I've never tried a Turn-based
Resource gathering strategy game. I imagine it could be slow as you'd have
to allocated resources to building harvester units and units to protect said
harvester units.

Depends how abstract you make it. Within the bounds of the game as it
stands, you could have certain templates for resource creators. E.g. a 1x2
block with hole with a control stick and 2 cones on top could be a weapon
generator. Owning one of these would increase your Regeneration by 1, but
could only regenerate weapons.

These creators could be the target of sorties instead of the factory itself.

James