 Space / 17606
Re: More Artwork
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:22:45 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Hanson writes:

Greetings yourself!

I saw this on Brickshelf yesterday. Looks great! I too tried once to make a
spiral galaxy in Photoshop - let's just say that yours looks a lot better
than mine did [1].

I've gotta say that your recent pictures look great. Your Photoshop skills
have improved, and I just love how you photograph your models with a single
light source and deep shadows - they look very spacey.

I'm glad you've offered to share your secrets. I've been wondering how you
achieve the engine glow in pictures like this:

I've tried similar effects, but can never get the perspective right. I'd
love to know how you did it.

Thanks, Paul. In order to get that effect, try this:

- Open the pic you want to work with and add a new layer. This is the first
layer you will work on.
- Select the color that will be your darkest color in the flare
- Grab the airbrush tool and set the flow and opacity to about 50%
- Adjust the brush style so that it produces a soft edge and adjust the
brush to slightly larger than the diameter or size of the nozzle
- Using your best artistic skills, spray over your model's exhaust nozzle
(don't worry about making the trailing flare, just spray over the immediate
exhaust nozzle)
- Change to your next color which should be halfway between your first color
and white (i.e. first red, then orange, then white) and reduce the size of
your airbrush
- Spray lightly in the center of your first color making sure you leave
enough of the first color around the edges of the flare as you blend the two
colors
- Next, change to white and spray a bit more in the center to lighten the
flare gradient some more (the general rule is lighter in the center and
darker on the edge)
- When you're satified with the flare around the nozzle, make a new layer
using "Layer Via Copy" so that you copy the layer you just worked on. The
new layer will be your trailing flare
- Select Filter, then Blur, then Motion Blur and then adjust the distance
(20 or 30 should be enough) and the angle as needed and click OK. You'll
need to move around the trailing flare layer to get the right effect.
Blurring causes the image to dim so you can select Image, then Adjustments,
then Brightness/ Contrast to bump up the intensity of the trailing flare
(though I often find that less is more).

Dan