 Space / 17605
Re: More Artwork
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:44:19 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Mueller writes:
Nice work.  I'm curious, what lighting techniques do you use when >photographing your ships or do you add the light source and shadows in >Photoshop?

Thanks, Mark. I usually shoot in a dark room and use a small lamp as a
single hard light source to get that "cold space" effect. I have a black
foam presentation board that I shoot against. The board is three-paneled and
I use one of the side panels to prevent light from being cast on the larger
center panel so that I get a pure black background. That makes selecting the
model a lot easier, and sometimes I can just add "stars" to the pic as-is.

BTW - It was very difficult to gauge the saturation of black in my pics via
my old computer monitor and now as I look at some older pics I see
significant flaws in matting.

Dan