 Space / 17589
Re: More Artwork
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:22:58 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Carriker writes:

Very nice work!

Thanks! :)

But if one were looking from the outside at a galaxy, it is unlikely that
they would also see a star field (since a star field is the view of a galaxy
from the inside).  The person would only see the occasional point of light
from other far-away galaxies.

I tried to represent this view as from the edge of a galaxy looking at a
very, very distant sprial galaxy in the background. The stars in the
starfield are in the observer's galaxy and are in front of the distant
galaxy, not behind (or at least they are meant to be). It is also possible
that a few of the points of light in the starfield are galaxies even more
distant than the prominent galaxy I've rendered. I'll leave that to the
viewer's imagination. I tried to use this picture of the Andromeda galaxy as
a reference:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/9911/m31_ware_big.jpg

Of course, the stars in front of the Andromeda galaxy in that picture are
stars from our own Milky Way galaxy, though they are significantly brighter
than the ones I tried to render. For my next attempt, I should probably try
to vary the brightness and apparent size of the stars in the foreground so I
can get a more realistic effect.

Thanks!

Dan