 Space / 1701
Re: Microfig scale (Was Re: future BRICK updated (sorta))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:20:53 GMT

DUDE! You have GOT to put up pics of that big ol' white ship!

I'm waiting for my mom to mail me my Lego collection. It's been in the
possession of my li'l bro (actually it's ours mixed together) and he's
entering high school, so now it's MINE! MUAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

I'd really like to build something large like that... it'll probably have to be
out of the old blue n' gray pieces, since that's what I have most of...
though I may have to buy some stuff from S@H.

Eagerly awaiting pics,

~Mark

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch writes:

Joel Kuester wrote in message ...

must...fight...urge to...build in...microfig scale...

I also find myself reluctant to build at microfig scale, but I've found that
it comes in especially handy for design prototypes. One method for • inventing
new designs that I've come to like is to give myself a handful of • reasonably
generic pieces [1] and build a microfig-scale model to use as a • prototype
for a minifig-scale one. Here's a couple of prototypes that I made using
pieces from specific SW sets:

http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/droidf-alt.jpg     (640x396, 73K)
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/sbikes-alt.jpg     (640x480, 93K)

They're not amazing alternate models, of course, but limiting the pieces
available forced me to construct things I wouldn't have come up with
otherwise, and contain some structural ideas that I like enough to bring • to
a minifig-scale project. "Necessity is the mother of invention", as a wise
man once said. Piece constraint is the main reason I've never been
interested making CAD models[2]. That, and being able to whoosh it • around
:-)

Anyway, I guess it's time I got back to work writing my new web page. • While
the digital camera was plugged in I thought I might take a piccy of my • room,
a picture being worth a thousand words and all that:
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/room.jpg       (800x600, 167K)
Showing what I've got, how I store it, and what'll be on my website when
it's updated.... ;-)

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/

[1] A handful of pieces is also reasonably unobtrusive when on your • desk at
work ;-)
[2] Of course, I only make MOCs (although I contemplate replicas) and • I'm
mainly talking about MOCs here, although it can still apply to replicas
(just less often).