 Space / 13310
Re: Time to write Lego Consumer Affairs a (nasty) letter..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:56:43 GMT

In article <GsH9or.CK3@lugnet.com>, "Abner" <amf70@aol.com> wrote:

Hey settle down...please.  A lot of people online or even offline  do and do
not agree with you.   But I understand how  you feel.   Then again I
understand more and more everyday the reasons why the LEGO Company is doing
what it is doing.   Speaking from experience from the past and even today
and seeing what is coming in the future from the company.   I like what I
have seen and heard.   But then again my thinking is not the same thinking
of the rest of the world, when thinking about LEGO.

Too some people it looks bad to others it is the only way for the company
live beyond "the brick" or the "the platic brick".   The LEGO Company has to
expand ..experiment ....trial and errors.   Some do fail and others keep on
going.    The name LEGO ...the logo brand of LEGO is the core of a company
of many, many different systems of play.

The bottom line is and  this applys to any company in any kind of business.
"The company  cannot always please everybody"

I do have a question....  what happen over the weekend or even today that
made you decide to write this?

-Abner

p.s.  Every time I see and read things like this on LUGNET or on RTL, ATL  I
wish a more important person could to explain it.   To the point and no spin
on the information.

   Bah, I understand why Lego has been doing this. The toy market is
awfully competitive, and many kids go for the flashier electronic
gadgets (here in the USA at any rate) and what not, thus cutting down on
Lego sales. Even though Lego HAS to eliminate themes and lines, and HAS
to cut overhead to survive (as any other struggling company has to,)
some of these things are really, really annoying.
   What prompted me to write that was visiting 4 (large!) stores that
sold Lego, and not being able to find the 1200 piece buckets (as I said
before, they were replaced by some incredibly horrid "creator" line of
buckets). That ticked me off. After that, I decided to buy a set (for
parts.) Well, after examining the new line closely, I discovered that
many of the sets possessed a disturbing characteristic: They were
designed around a small number of very large (in relation to the size of
the model) pieces. These large pieces made up almost all of the sets
that I looked at.
I've been playing with Lego (well, Duplo at first) since I was 2 and 1/2
or so, and I have to say, never before have I seen such a high
proportion of sets being designed in this fashion. There were ALWAYS a
few, but those generally belonged to lines which you just knew wouldn't
be around in next year's product lineup. Well, this year, 90% of the
sets are like that. The only lines that I would actually purchase this
year are the Star Wars and Alpha Team sets. Though the Alpha Team sets
do have a high proportion of large pieces, they're not nearly as bad as
some other lines, and they ARE pretty darned cool. I like the Life on
Mars line too, but I feel as if I wouldn't be getting my money's worth
with most sets of this line.. If I saw some of the original Aquazone
sets though, I'd snap 'em up in an instant. That was a great line. Sigh..
--
Discover the might of the Solarian Empire!
http://www.geocities.com/stuttgartergunther/