 Space / 13171
13170  |  13172
Subject:
Time to write Lego Consumer Affairs a (nasty) letter..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:12:32 GMT

   This topic can also be called: "The decline of the Lego Group."
   It's high time that I complained to these guys! Lego has been getting
cheaper and cheaper, and cutting as many corners as possible in recent
years...
   My first beef: The ($20) 1200 piece bulk buckets have disappeared
from store shelves, and have been replaced by some POS "creator" bucket.
This is total bullshit, and is most likely an effort on Lego's part to
prevent Lego enthusiasts from purchasing bulk parts, which are
reasonably priced, and since they're priced reasonably, they probably
don't turn a very tidy profit. Maybe this isn't Lego's fault, maybe the
stores requested sets that were easier to sell, but I don't think so..
"Paranoia," you say? Not when you look at other things that Lego's been
doing recently.
   Secondly: The new sets which use extremely large and specialized
pieces. Okay, I understand why Lego is doing this. Lego is in financial
trouble, and they need to cut costs in order to keep store prices low
and remain competitive. That's fine. Christ on a stick though, has
anyone else looked at the new sets? Bionicle: A pretty good money-making
concept, and good marketing, but it posesses many highly specialized
pieces. If this didn't intrude on normal Lego sets, it'd be great. A
financially secure Lego is good for everyone. HOWEVER, this damned
concept is leaking into everything. Take Jack Stone for example, that is
an UTTER POS theme in my opinion, but I guess it's turning a profit, and
no self-respecting adults are forced to purchase them. So whatever.
   "What's the problem with this if it's turning a profit?" someone
might ask. Well, take a look at every one of the usual Town,
underwaterish, and other sets. They all have huge, highly-specialized
pieces that form most of the set. I went to Toys R' Us a few weeks ago,
and I was horrified to discover that 90% of the new sets utilized highly
specialized, HUGE pieces to make up the bulk of the model. This crap
isn't what made Lego a hit, it was versatility and the ability to be
creative.
Although I understand Lego's reasoning, and its need to do this, is this
really living up to the spirit of the original Lego toy(s)? No.
Maybe it's naïve to think that some of the top people actually give a
shit, but hey..
   I want to see Lego survive as much as anybody, but does anyone really
want to see Lego survive in this fashion?
--
Discover the might of the Solarian Empire!
http://www.geocities.com/stuttgartergunther/