 Space / 13199
Re: Time to write Lego Consumer Affairs a (nasty) letter..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 05:24:30 GMT

I want to see Lego survive as much as anybody, but does anyone really
want to see Lego survive in this fashion?

I have to say that I pretty much agree with most everything you have said.  I
thought that the Bonical stuff, though interesting, really wasn't LEGO in the
traditional sense, Jack Stone is an abonimation. I was never ever going to pay
that much money for a set where I can count the pieces in the set from the
picture on the box and still not have used up all my fingers (o.k. maybe that's
an exaguration) These two themes were a direct reaction by the LEGO company to
compete with all thos Action Figures on the market (Action Man, Max Steele
etc...)

My question is this.  Why are LEGO competing with them?  Finance and business
aside I really want to know why LEGO are taking this approach.  LEGO has always
been a versitile and reusable toy.  That was it's attraction, always have been.
but nowadays we see LEGO trying to conpete with toys that really, are in no
way like LEGO.  Why is the company playing to others strengths?

If the LEGO group fails, it will be because they have put themselves out of
business.  Over the last few years LEGO has made some smart moves, Star Wars
license, Harry Potter (not that I really like the sets, but they are LEGO in
essence).  Playing to their own strengths, and these two lines have been very
successful.

I was in a store a few weeks ago, looking over some of the sets that were
there, before any of the 2002 sets had arrived (we always have to wait for
everthing in Australai, I don't think we are even getting the new Alpha Team
stuff this year) and there was a young boy, with his Mum.  She asked him what
Lego Set he wanted, He wanted one that had sold out (I suspect that I may have
just brought the last ATST the day before) so she asked him to pick another
one.  He was there for 10 minutes, lookinmg at all the other sets, Mostly Jack
Stone, Bonical and Creator.  He turned to his mum and said "I don't like any of
these sets, they are too simple"  Now this kid must have been around 10, not
really young, but part of the "Target" market for these types of sets.  Jack
Stone and Bonical sets are still widely avaliable most everywhere, I don't
think they are moving as fast as Star Wars and Harry Potter stuff.

My point is that LEGO will not win like this.  They may have initinal success
but it will not last.  I cannot say that I have the answers, but I truly hope
that somebody does.

So in answer to you question, No, I do not want to see LEGO survive like this,
because they will not.  Do they need to evolve past the Brick, yes they do,
evolve not discard.