 Space / 13265
Re: Time to write Lego Consumer Affairs a (nasty) letter..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 15:24:38 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:

I agree totally.  But the interesting thing is... I'm twelve!   Maybe thats
a bit old for most of Lego's stuff- but even before I discovered Lugnet(last
year) I'd had harder and harder times picking out what to buy.  I used to
always dash to the toys section of a store to see what sets where there,
along with discounts.  Now I don't bother.  I know what I'll see.  Alpha
team- big canopies, a one-piece chassis, huge slope pieces that make an
excuse for a roof.  And then Bionicle- WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THE
STUFF?  Nowadays, even genaric canopies like the one found in -lets say
6886- cannot be found in any set in any color.

The reason that Lego is competing with non-brick(well, I have to say piece
now-bricks are so hard to find) companies is simple.  Back in the good old
years, like 14 years ago(before I was even born... sniff!) kids( who were
and are Lego's main buyer) had an imagination, and could appreciate good
Lego sets.  But now, there are video games, and even worse- in my kiddies
view- modern society.  Kids, with their ever lowering attention span, didn't
find Lego as interesting.  Heres when I begin guessing:  Because Lego was a
pretty large company, with many reaccuring costs, couldn't afford to lose so
many customers.  So, a combination of two things happened- Lego tried to
become 'cooler'(honostly, look at those racer faces!) by using 'coolor'
pictures, and sets in general.  That's how Bionicle came around.  Kids
didn't want white, black, and blue spaceships without gargantuam lasers and
a 'good guys kill the badguys and wins' plot.  But bionicle, well, dosn't
have big lasers, but has an actionfigure-like goodguy/badguy plot, which
appealed to the current kids.  So now, we have (ugg)Galidor coming out!
Complete action figures!  Produced by Lego!   Then Lego, in an effort to
cust costs, reduced piece counts and made pieces larger so the models don't
seem smaller.  This is juniorazation- an effort to cut costs,

Still, I have to applaude Lego direct- but they are too limited by the rest
of Lego.  Still, given time, I bet they will do some good stuff.

Yes, this is told at a pre-teen prespective.

John Kruer

John,

I have a hard time to believe you are 12. You wrote an inteligent,
articulate, well thought out post. Maybe there is hope for your generation
after all. :-)

Jude

XFUT .lego.direct