 Space / 13076
Re: lego changed molds / re-engineered parts, part II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:34:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
He's talking about the 1x2 "laser" piece with the 2 bars on it.  The bars on
the older version were inline with the plate and had rounded ends.

  Ah.  Okay.  I've noticed that too.  I think it has something to do with
  the ability to mount them in tighter spaces; I've noticed that the newer
  sort have bars exactly 2 studs long, and if you put the plate on another
  plate over an even larger plate, the bars don't prevent it in the newer
  sort, while the older ones would prevent the studs from locking tight.
  (They were too low on the older sort.)

I believe you have that detail backwards here.  The older ones were in line
height-wise.  Not that it matters in this particular case- either one fits
fine in the arrangement you describe.

The version of this piece that has longer and higher pins with rounded ends
is from the first one to two years of classic space.  They changed the
design very early on.  Although the newer one uses slightly less plastic, I
don't think that was the reason in this case- Lego didn't cut corners like
that back in 1979.  The new length is arguably better, allowing it to fit
into a 2 stud long space.  The only reason I can think for changing the
height is to allow clips to fit onto this part when it is clipped to the
underside of a larger surface.  Otherwise... I don't know- a 1/4-plate
offset isn't terribly useful, especially considering the 3-stud overall
width of the piece.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com