 Space / 13063
Re: lego changed molds (?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:13:25 GMT

"Mark" <snowleopard@foxinternet.net> writes:
I know others know much, much more on this subject than me, however;

Lots of parts have had minor changes over the years.  Take a look at any
given piece from years ago and now and you should notice a few things.  I
just grabbed an inverted 2x2 slope for example: The older one has thicker
front studs than the newer one, the numbers are different (I know some of my
other older parts just say "pat pen"), and the newer one has ribbing inside
the bottom.

The thinner front studs make it possible to insert a peg into them,
and also reduce the amount of ABS needed (thus reducing cost).  The
ribbing is common in a lot of newer bricks, and is probably also to
reduce cost.

I've also noticed that my older parts stick together with a 'snap' and my
newer ones sort of push together.  Impovements over the years I'm sure.
I know the numbers on the bricks are used for categorizing but I don't know
how the codes work exactly.  I suspect this link would help.
http://www.peeron.com/inv/master.txt

New bricks come with some sort of oily coating, in my experience.  If
you wash them in soapy water (laundry detergent works well) this is
removed and the bricks snap together better (and stay together better).

As for why Lego does it.  Dunno.  Makes for a better brick I suppose.
Helps?

My guess is that some changes are to save money, and others are for
improved compatibility with other types of bricks.

--Bill.