 Space / 13081
Re: lego changed molds / re-engineered parts, part II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:02:54 GMT

"Tony Hafner" <hafhead@PANTSplanetquake.com> writes:

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
He's talking about the 1x2 "laser" piece with the 2 bars on it.  The bars on
the older version were inline with the plate and had rounded ends.

  Ah.  Okay.  I've noticed that too.  I think it has something to do with
  the ability to mount them in tighter spaces; I've noticed that the newer
  sort have bars exactly 2 studs long, and if you put the plate on another
  plate over an even larger plate, the bars don't prevent it in the newer
  sort, while the older ones would prevent the studs from locking tight.
  (They were too low on the older sort.)

I believe you have that detail backwards here.  The older ones were in line
height-wise.  Not that it matters in this particular case- either one fits
fine in the arrangement you describe.

The version of this piece that has longer and higher pins with rounded ends
is from the first one to two years of classic space.  They changed the
design very early on.  Although the newer one uses slightly less plastic, I
don't think that was the reason in this case- Lego didn't cut corners like
that back in 1979.  The new length is arguably better, allowing it to fit
into a 2 stud long space.  The only reason I can think for changing the
height is to allow clips to fit onto this part when it is clipped to the
underside of a larger surface.  Otherwise... I don't know- a 1/4-plate
offset isn't terribly useful, especially considering the 3-stud overall
width of the piece.

I think you may be right.

Just so we know what we're all talking about, I found the page on
peeron.com that lists the parts in question:
        http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/?start=1400

The "laser" piece we are talking about is this:
      3839 - Plate 1 x 2 with Handles (Moved to 3839b) - (Ref)
     3839b - Plate 1 x 2 with Handles Type 2 - (Ref)

Here are the pieces from peeron that might be described as "clip" in
this context:
      6019 - Plate 1 x 1 with Clip Horizontal - (Ref)
      4081 - Plate 1 x 1 with Clip Light (Moved to 4081b) - (Ref)
     4081b - Plate 1 x 1 with Clip Light - Type 2 - (Ref)
      4085 - Plate 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - (Ref)

Of these, only 4085 and 4081 existed in the days when the change we are
talking about occurred.  Note that 4085 has an offset *up* from the
plate, while the 3839b has a downward offset.  I'm at work, so I can't
test this out, but I suspect that if you stuck the "handle" of a 3839b
through the middle of the "clip" of a 4081 so that the plates of each
piece are parallel to each other, that the plates of each piece would
be offset in the Z axis by exactly one plate-width.

I suspect the same is true with 6019 and 4081b even though they came
along later.  But be careful testing this: I've broken a number of
3839b pieces trying to remove something stuck on its "handle".

Also, someone check if a 3839 is as easy for a minifig to grab as a
3839b is.  If not, that might be part of the reason.  In themes other
than space, these parts were used as handles, which is why peeron
calls them that.

--Bill.