 Space / 1200
Re: Anyone remember this set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 08:31:10 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bram Lambrecht writes:
In lugnet.space, Mike Clemens writes:
Inspired by Kevin's nagging memory, I decided to give • this a try -- namely,
making a set of robots out of standard pieces.

http://www.mindspring.com/~clemota/lego/

I kind of cheated, since the "normal" pieces I used • all came from my big Plano
box of
pieces-too-rare-or-small-to-put-in-regular-storage.  All
the robots are
made from rare, regular pieces, I guess.  :-)

These are cool! I don't think you "cheated" at all.  I • like the hover-bot.
--Bram
I agree....May I have permission to add the hoverbot to
my collection of Misc. space characters?

I like the comedic aspects of a couple of your
creations...I haven't experimented w/ robots in years...

Gee....and I thought I was original...lol...your first
gray robot is almost exactly what I used to make....I
even have 20 of them in storage somewhere....my only
difference was that I used a 2x2x2 gray landing gear
piece for added height and I didn't use the 1x2 on
top....I made a variant of the cyclops model by
inserting 2 1x1 trans yellow plates perpendicular (in
between the grooves to give a more friendly comedic
look....

  I derived my inspiration from Lost in Space episodes
that were aired late at night when I was a child.  I
made a similar version resembling the robots in Disney's
black hole....I always wanted to build a red Maximillian
from that movie....

I even took a swing at a Doctor Who Dalek when PBS in
Buffalo started airing it in 1979....I used a 2x3
gray/blue brick w/ a 2x2 slope and 1x2 gray gun behind
it.  I added a couple 1x2 plates to even it up, then a
turntable a 1x2 center stud plate and a gray closed clip
w/ translucent 1x1 plates connected to form the eye....

okay enough of my early "nerdom"