 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 814
Re: The datalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 03:09:55 GMT

In article <39DA1F0C.E321A6EE@akasa.bc.ca>, Dean Husby
<nntp@akasa.bc.ca> wrote:

Dave, I have a question about the datalog. In the manual you state that
the
createdatalog function creates a datalog of x many points. How much is a
point? Is that how many unique entries can be made or an overall 'byte'
amount? Is a value like 4 or 123456 equal as a single entry?

Each call to AddToDatalog() uses up one "point".  Each point takes up 3
bytes of memory: a 1-byte code for the source of point (sensor, timer,
etc), then a 2-byte value.

123456 is too big to fit into the log.  This would either generate a
compiler error for constant overflow, or just be truncated to a 16 bit
signed value (-7616).

One last issue, with the RCX you can set up the IR port as a serial
protocol. 2400 baud etc... But I don't see any way of receiving this info
with another RCX. Is this for RCX -> PC only?

I couldn't find any way to Rx either.  It still could be useful in
RCX-RCX communication, though, provided you use the default serial and
packet settings.  This allows you to create a custom RCX packet (using
the normal RCX bytecodes), so you could remotely cause the other RCX to
do just about anything.  Send it a "motor on" packet to turn on motors,
etc.  More flexible than the basic "message" communication.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com