 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 659
Re: global output control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:13:42 GMT

In article <000b01bfdc59$47ea4a00$0100a8c0@pro150>, "Ralph Hempel"
<rhempel@bmts.com> wrote:

ReverseOutput(const int outs); // global reverse
ForwardOutput(const int outs); // global fwd

Reverse kind of implies invert, but I don't think
that will matter to many folks...

The problem I have with ForwardOutput() and ReverseOutput() is that the
terms 'forward' and 'reverse' already have a meaning - specifically they
refer to motor directions...

Fwd(OUT_A);
Rev(OUT_B);

If you then 'reverse' the global direction...

ReverseOutput(OUT_A, OUT_B);

one might expect A and B to both be spining in the 'reverse' direction,
however you'll find that both have been flipped and A is going 'reverse'
and B is going 'forward'.

I agree Invert isn't much better since a second call doesn't undo the
effects of the first call.

---

Whenever I run into this big of a naming problem I tend to question
whether the thing being named is at fault.  Those global bytecodes are
very poorly thought out...not only do they work in a non-obvious way,
but they also aren't very useful.

Another alternative for me is to ditch the whole
Enable/Disable/Invert/??? thing and just leave it at

SetGlobalOutput(outputs, mode)
SetGlobalDirection(outputs, dir)

where mode is one of OUT_ON, OUT_OFF, etc.
and dir is one of OUT_FWD, OUT_REV, etc.

and let the user beware of the strageness.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com