 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 386 (-20)
  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) Hmmm - the only reason I can think of for this would be if RcxCC is using one of the deprecated options that were removed in 2.1 (-o, -e, and -s which were replaced by -O, -E, and -S). If Mark can confirm which (if any) of these options are (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: offtopicy sort of thing

(...) It's offtopic in .nqc, but not in lugnet.robotics in general. (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: offtopicy sort of thing

I think that's a really good idea. I tried it, and found out that the motor recieving power spins slower than the motor you spin. This is about 4:3. This could be a really good speed reduction technique that doesn't use gears, or you could power (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC default output file

(...) I don't want the outfile to go where the executable is -- I want it to go to the current working directory. So nqc goes in /usr/local/bin, and I can run it from "binaries" directory on source files that might be located elsewhere (the test.nqc (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC default output file

I don't think it's nonintuitive. I think it makes sense to have the output go to the same directory as the input. That way you can have a directory set up for the executable with only read/execute permissions, and yet have all of your source & (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  NQC default output file

I was checking to see if NQC already does have an option to spit bytecodes to stdout (-L would work, if rcxcomm would understand the format) and I came across something that seems nonintuitive to me. The default output file is "named the same as the (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) If this is done, the compiler should have an option to spit out compiled bytecode on stdout, and the rcxcomm program should have a matching option to accept bytecodes on stdin and send them to the rcx. And then there should be a wrapper that (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) I think NQC should be strictly a compiler. It seems like it would be more manageable for both developers and users if the RCX communication pieces were in a separate executable. This change should make NQC completely portable (if there is such (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) The beta does not seem to work with RcxCC. All it does is display the parameters for NQC and then exits. No compile. --- DonC donc@cccd.edu (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 Linux binaries + rpm (was Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test)

(...) Huh. Which brings me to an interesting conceptual correctness problem with RPM -- you don't have the documentation in .tar.gz format, which is how RPM wants it. So do I cheat and make my own tar.gz containing them, or do I cheat the other way (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) Yes, this is why I'd like someone else to implement this. I just want to use it. *grin* (...) RCX messages is what I'm interested in. It might be reasonable to have several modes. (...) Good question. I don't think this feature is out of line (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) I remember discussing this briefly, but I don't think we ever came up with a final "spec" for the feature. Here are the issues I forsee: 1) The IR tower times out. NQC should probably do something to keep it alive - and that "something" should (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 Linux binaries + rpm (was Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test)

(...) Go right ahead. Dave Baum (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) that to (...) I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to copy the beta version of NQC on top of the one RcxCC normally invokes. I suspect Mark will update RcxCC shortly after 2.1 becomes final. Dave (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 Linux binaries + rpm (was Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test)

Dave, a question: I notice that you don't include much documentation with your nqc packages. I'll probably leave the .tar.gz that way, but do you have any objection to me including the (HTML version of the) Programmer's Guide and User Manual in my (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) :-) Leonard Stiles <lstiles@hotpop.com> (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  NQC 2.1 b2 Linux binaries + rpm (was Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test)

I put up a Linux binary package in tar.gz format + rpm + source in srpm format at: <URL:(URL). I'd appreciate it if folks would look at it and tell me if I've done anything stupid. (Especially in the RPM.) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) Not that I'm complaining or anything :) but is the 'listen' feature I talked about a while ago in the plan for the future? I'll work on making Linux builds today if I have a chance. (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  offtopicy sort of thing

Ok, so it's nothing to do with nqc and not much to do with mindstorms, but here's a nice bit of elementary physics I came across while playing with my RIS: Take two 9v dc lego motors like the ones you got with the RCX. Stick something, a wheel or a (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Yippee!

My copy of Dave's book has just arrived! But I'm stuck at work for the next 8 hours so I can't play with it. Boo. -- Mark Rendle Est nunc salvus cessare vester computare (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact