 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3937
Re: error in using brickOS under Bricx Command Center
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:46:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Je-Young Choi wrote:
I am sorry to say that the modification in the "OS root" setting didn't help.

Given that your OS Root setting was wrong before and now it is right then
modifying that setting did help.  It just didn't completely fix your problem.
The OS Root setting in BricxCC needs to be set to the Cygwin path to the root of
the brickOS installation.  If you install brickOS into your cygwin directory
(c:\cygwin\brickos) then your OS Root has to be /brickos - where the case
should, of course, match the case of that path when you are running within the
bash shell.

Your posting 3929 on 29th September demanded that
cygwin\bin directory has to be on system path
(in My Computer...Properties...Advanced tab...Environment variables).
But such instruction is not described in the above site.
What else do I need to use brickOS in BricxCC?

If you have your cygwin bin directory in the path and you have installed cygwin
correctly (either via my installer or manually) then when you type make -f
helloWorld.mak at a windows command prompt then you must see lots of output
generated in the command window.  Have you posted that output here so I can see
it?  It will help me figure out what you are doing wrong.  If you don't see any
output then delete *.lx first and then try it again.

When you run my pre-built installer you will notice that it says:

1. Run as an administrator under WinXP and W2K.
2. If you are running an older OS you will have to add the following to your
autoexec.bat file:

set CYGNUS_ROOT=c:\cygwin
set GPC_EXEC_PREFIX=%CYGNUS_ROOT%/lib/gcc-lib/
set PATH=%CYGNUS_ROOT%\bin;%PATH%

You will need to reboot to have the autoexec.bat changes take effect.

If these settings aren't in your environment then you need to add them.  They
should get added by the installer if you run it as an administrator.

John Hansen