 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2442
Re: The PRGM key - THANKS!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:34:16 GMT

"Michael Obenland" <obenland@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:Gu9BHq.BEv@lugnet.com...
<snip>
As mentioned, I run legOS with a patch to be able to use the remote • control.
With this patch, not ony 2 but 3 tasks run at highest priority without any
problem. My observation is that the battery of the tower has a great • influence
for the transfer. Light conditions are critical too. And it seems that you • have
an old cygwin version. You might get better results with a new version. • But I
can't tell much of cygwin beeing a Linux user.

Mike

Mike,

I had experienced intermittent problems with downloading programs until I
changed the packet_consumer process to a higher priority.  Now, for quite a
while, I have yet to receive an error of this type.  I had tried fixing the
problem with new batteries, swapped between my two serial towers and with
two RCX's ... results were consistent.  I even tried putting the tower and
RCX under a cover to block stray light, LOL.  While I don't believe it is a
big deal, I think we can afford to make the change to get the extra
reliability.

The other possibility is that the dkey_handler (the competing process) may
be taking too much time in its wakeup function or may be getting too large a
timeslice.  I haven't really played around with these other options.

Thank you Mike for pushing me to concider these possibilities.  I will look
into it further... maybe we can optimize the dkey_handler to solve the
problem...

Joe