 Robotics / RCX / 2472
Re: New TLC Mindstorms survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:13:06 GMT

John Barnes wrote:

I must say, having built numerous active sensors for RCX, I don't think I'd
class the interface as hard to live with. Its cheap - a handful of diodes and a
capacitor is all you need to isolate signal from power, and easy to use. I find
it hard to imagine how a self-powered blue tooth equipped light sensor could be
sold for $15. Although I love the idea of autonomous nets of intelligent
sensors, I think that is a project that DARPA is still pumping millions of
dollars into. And I think trying to keep fresh batteries in a few dozen small
sensors (read - expensive coin cell type batteries) would be a chore. Although
I'd bear that expense too if someone could make it work. (It costs megabucks to
join the bluetooth club and receive a manufacturer id number.)

Forget Bluetooth.  Remote sensors are too expensive, and I already have
a pile of RCX sensors. The interface is dirt cheap to implement.

Umm - I think you guys got the wrong end of the stick there. I didnt
mean bluetooth for sensor connectivity(cables do just fine), I only
meant it to replace the existing IR interface for downloading programs.
Although intelligent sensor nets are cool - currently this is for the
rich uni's to experiment with...