 Robotics / RCX / 2466
Re: New TLC Mindstorms survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:37:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Danny Staple wrote:
It might be a long shot - but I am gonna ask for more sensor/motor ports
and external power in/out lines. I always thought the active sensor
thing was over complicated for any custom sensors.
Since they pose the "what would you consider important if you were
designing the next RIS?" - it is worth giving them the community feeling
on what we need.
Bluetooth connectivity(use a standard dongle- and not the tower).

Any other ideas here?

Well, I had to respond to the survey - how could I not!!!

More ports and more sensor choices was my main message.

I must say, having built numerous active sensors for RCX, I don't think I'd
class the interface as hard to live with. Its cheap - a handful of diodes and a
capacitor is all you need to isolate signal from power, and easy to use. I find
it hard to imagine how a self-powered blue tooth equipped light sensor could be
sold for $15. Although I love the idea of autonomous nets of intelligent
sensors, I think that is a project that DARPA is still pumping millions of
dollars into. And I think trying to keep fresh batteries in a few dozen small
sensors (read - expensive coin cell type batteries) would be a chore. Although
I'd bear that expense too if someone could make it work. (It costs megabucks to
join the bluetooth club and receive a manufacturer id number.)

An RCX with twice as many motor ports, four times as many sensor ports and more
CPU horse power is what I voted for. Sadly, I very much doubt that our high end
needs will have much in common with the average FLL respondant .. sigh.

So I'll just have to carry on designing and building my own brute force bricks
and equipping myself with interesting sensor types ;)

JB