 Robotics / RCX / 2469
RE: New TLC Mindstorms survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:05:31 GMT

I'm thinking something like a hybrid between the GameboyRCX and
what we have now....

What if you could use an IR equipped palmPilot (or Clie), or
even a PocketPC to talk to a simple micro. Wait, you'd need
an IRDA protocol stack on the micro, unless you used THIS:

<http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1335&dDocName=en010408>

And then you'd only need a small micro with some motor ports and some
sensor ports. They have a cheaper version that only does 9600 baud
IRDA too!

The expensive portion of the kits has the display and the user
interface. Sure, the IRDA interface is only good for a meter or so,
but you'd end up with a fairly cheap little board, and a mid-priced
controller that you could use as a daytimer!

Forget Bluetooth.  Remote sensors are too expensive, and I already have
a pile of RCX sensors. The interface is dirt cheap to implement.

Same goes for motor drivers. H bridges are simple to use and understand.

I'm just rambling now, but this may have some merit. My SJ25 Clie
has more RAM than my first PC had hard drive space! And it has a color
screen.

Cheers, Ralph