 Robotics / RCX / 2276
Re: multiple motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 03:26:29 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:

I've had a reasonable amount of success building sumo robots,...

   ...I love understatment. sigh...

and I always try to use 2 motors per port.

   OK, in trying to implement this I've come to an interesting impasse.
Calculations suggest that for a 4 lb sumobot with reasonable tires would
"benefit" from six motors, three on each side (differential drive, or turning).
I tried running the two of the left motors from OUT_A, two of the right motors
from OUT_C, and the remaining two motors (one left & one right) from OUT_B.
All's well and good when running forward or backward, but to turn I'm in
trouble: the last two motors will try to fight each other. Obviously I don't
power OUT_B during a turn, but if OUT_B is set to Float those last two motors
will fight each other. Help!
   A) Besides acting as a brake on the other four motors, has anyone ever
damaged motors in a situation like this?
   B) Is there a better way to do this? Run six motors in two triplets from a
single RCX, and allow turning free & clear?

   Steve, when you said "two motors per port", are you using all three ports,
six motors?

It's my understanding that the motors draw ~250 milliamp when stalled

   The test I've seen suggest stall current for the original geared minimotor is
a bit higher (360 mA), but the point still seems valid - just try to use them
such that any one motor doesn't exceed about half it's maximum torque, thus
keeping the current draw below 250 mA for each motor.

And my BIGGEST piece of advice for your sumo robot: make SURE it
does not leave the sumo area on it's own.

   I'll second that. Boy, will I ever...

--
Brian Davis