 Robotics / RCX / 2360
Re: multiple motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:29:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Jona Jeffords wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Brian Davis wrote:
Jona Jeffords wrote:

will adding an additional 2 motors to help in forward and reverse
motion really add enough to the push to justify the rebuild?

   Make a basic chassis with the wheels you want, and bulk it up to the limit (4
lbs in this case, correct?). Drive it into a wall using just four motors... does
it stall out (ie, motors can't provide enough torque) or spin the wheels (motors

I doubt I will attempt your suggested test of driving into a wall (this scares
me very much!) but I hear what you are saying.

Actually, I think what he's suggesting is a pretty good idea.  I usually test
most of my sumo robots this way.  Place the robot next to a wall.  If you don't
want to damage a wall with a big, powerful robot, :)  use a book held against
the floor in front of the robot.

Press Run.

At this point, two things could happen.  1) The wheels spin or 2) the wheels
don't spin.

Personally, I always try to make the wheels spin/slip.

If the wheels DON'T spin, bad things will happen.  For example, if you end up
pushing another robot for a long time (like head-to-head) the thermal resistors
in the motors (and maybe the RCX, I'm not sure) will heat up.  This is good,
because it will prevent damage to the RCX and/or motors.  However, it's bad,
because then your robot will stop pushing, until they cool down.  This could
cause you to be pushed out (unless the other guy has the same problem)

I've never had the thermal resistors heat up, while the wheels are still
spinning.

If the wheels DO spin, you may be wasting power.

So, if the wheels do spin (a) add weight, (b) gear up - make it faster or (c)
use bigger wheels.

If the wheels don't spin, (a) remove weight (b) gear down more or (c) use
smaller wheels, until they do spin.

Steve
ps Keep in mind, this is just what I do.  Attempting the above will push your
RCX & motors to their limit, so it's possible you could damage them.  If you do
damage them, don't blame me.  :)