 Robotics / RCX / 2355
Re: multiple motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:50:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Jona Jeffords wrote:
I am messing around with this idea hoping to get the gear ratio I want (2:5). I
currently have 16t on the motors driving 40t on the drive axle. I haven't come
up with a good way to incorporate the differential and additonal motors while
maintaining this gear ratio. I guess I will keep playing with it.

Okay I've done it. I have the drive train all figured out with the exact gearing
I wanted. Now the question to answer before I totally tear down and rebuild a
complete robot is; will adding an additional 2 motors to help in forward and
reverse motion really add enough to the push to justify the rebuild? We are
talking about driving a total of 6 motors from 1 RCX, 2 for the left wheel, 2
for the right, and 2 that join in when the robot is moving forward or backward.
Do I have anything to be concerned with as far as the draw on my RCX? Will I
burn through batteries much faster?

Any ideas or information that can help answer these questions is greatly
appreciated.

Jona
http://www.24tooth.com - LEGO Robotics Group of Ann Arbor