 Robotics / RCX / 2282
Re: multiple motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:47:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   Now, of course, I'm trying to think how to build a gear shift for the system
as well. How can I make one "shift" change the gear ratio on two parallel (but
seperate) gear trains? That way I can keep my fast-turning differential drive,
but still have a low-speed, high torque mode.
   Oh, the wonderful questions you can ask with LEGO... <grin>.

http://photos.freelug.org/photo.php?cat=33&num=81&expand=all
shows such a mechanism I built in my latest sumobot... (sorry, bad photograph)
Two gear shifts are activated at the same time, one for right wheels, the other
for left wheels.

The gearshift is activated by a motor controlled by RCX, gearing down occurs
when something hits the bumpers.

So, how well did it work?

How did the robot do?