 Robotics / RCX / 2000
Re: constant green light
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 00:08:54 GMT

Hello I'm baaaack in this thread, and I'm now carrying my 1.5 serial
IR/tower with me always, though not my RCX.

Anybody yet have a theory to explain what's going on?

To check my tower, I tried substituting a Win XP desktop PC for my Win XP
laptop PC.

With that desktop, I see no issue: I see green light on only when used.

More specifically, Accessories --> Communications --> HyperTerminal lets me
see my own keystrokes echo, if I cup the tower in the dark of my hand.  I
can instead read chars from fluorescent lights.  I get more diverse glyphs I
check the File --> Properties --> Settings --> ASCII Setup option to "Force
incoming data to 7-bit ASCII".  I get more chars if I think to press Ctrl+Q
i.e. XON any time I see the display stop.

Subject: Re: BricxCC on Win XP how
From: "John Hansen" <JohnBinder@aol.com>
Via: http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/?n=1986 ...

Do you need to do the "open the port and wait 5
seconds" procedure to get RIS, javax.comm, and nqc
to work?

No.  Those others start working much faster than that.

You might try fiddling your COM port(s) via the
control panel/system/hardware/device manager.
Check the resources being used by your COM1 device.
See if it lists any conflicts.

No yellow bangs, no text complaints.

Try unchecking the "use automatic
settings" checkbox.  Try choosing a
different option in the Settings based
on combo-box.

Win tells me I have to reboot each time I choose a different option.  I
tried each of:

Basic configuration: I/O Range: IRQ
0001: 02F8 - 02FF: 03
0003: 02E8 - 02EF: 03
0006: 03E8 - 03EF: 03

Same results (i.e. green light on when used OR when not open) in all.

The other choices all said in text that the resources requested were already
in use.