 Robotics / RCX / 1948
Re: constant green light
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:36:14 GMT

From: Kekoa Proudfoot [via Pat LaVarre] ...

About the tower's constant green light in XP, is
this problem seen by everybody using XP?

I don't have this answer, but I can elaborate the question in Two ways:

1) For fear of being mistaken for spam, I chose not to reuse the n=1918
Subject "green light to win".

2) The three fragments of my report of a constant green light in Win XP follow:

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/?n=1918&t=i&v=a
Subject: green light to win

Is exhausting the 9V of the IR tower transceiver a Windows only problem?

When my `uname -a` reports: Linux Knoppix 2.4.19-xfs ... then the green LED
light stays off til some software speaks IR.

But in Win XP, [on the same laptop, ]the green LED light stays ON until some
software loads that could speak IR but then doesn't for about five seconds
in a row.

I'm guessing, while the green LED light is on, the 9V drains?

Anybody know why/how Win XP keeps the green LED light on?  Anyone know of
anything I can do to persuade Windows to leave the green LED light off?

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/?n=1913
Subject: frame RCX reply how

I'm having a hard time experimenting: seemingly I keep exhausting my 9V
battery.  I have little to zero experience of running the Lego RIS software,
so I can't know if running my own software exhausts the 9V more quickly than
normal or not.

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/?n=1932

I think now I remember often seeing an intact reply packet appear preceded
by a bad command echo, indeed maybe surrounded by rubbish, whenever my 9V
battery is less than utterly fresh.  I bought two 9V batteries with my RCX
in 2001, but Three just this last week while trying to learn to write my own
IR transport.

Maybe more of my 9V batteries will again appear to work, now that I know more.

Bundled with the fifth battery, I bought a Duracell (R) Copper Top (TM)
battery tester.  The older batteries that cause the Lego RIS software to
hang Win XP pass the Duracell test (they colour three bars completely
yellow), but they do take longer to pass that Duracell test, and they break
my first guess of a receive framing algorithm.  Often I saw the RCX respond
correctly to xD2 Remote or x 23 PlayTone commands, while yet still my
receive framing produced garbage.