 Robotics / RCX / 1995
Re: constant green light
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:12:59 GMT

From: "John Hansen" <JohnBinder@aol.com>
Any word on whether you have discovered ...

As yet, me, re my Serial/IR Tower Green LED being stuck On, I know very
little coherent & new.

a) I did try searching for the word "green" in:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/support/en/ris15.asp
Those results seemingly confirm that "everyone knows" the green LED should
light only when used.

b) Still I do not know "how to ask NQC to leave a port open without speaking
thru that port for five or more seconds or more".

c) Still I am hoping to hear from other folk willing to risk trying a
Windows XP or XP SP1 Suspend to answer:

"Q1) Does your serial/IR tower green light shine after boot, before
launching comm software?"

"Q2) Does launching comm software turn the light Off?"

"Q3) Does the light come back On during a Windows Suspend of the comm software?"

d) Now that you mention it, thanks, next time I am colocated with a tower
I'll try carrying just the tower away with me, so then any time I'm free I
can try running most of the unfamiliar Control Panel and Device Manager
experiments suggested in:
Subject: Re: BricxCC on Win XP how
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/?n=1978&t=i&v=a
(For me carrying a whole Lego Mindstorms kit always to wherever I have
Internet access is impractical.)

From: "Jerry Kalpin" <jdkalpin@sympatico.ca>

As far as I can see, on my Win XP SP1 PC, I have only one serial port and
only one serial device, so I don't think I'm suffering from 'port
confusion', except that by definition maybe I tickle more hardware when I
use BricxCC Automagic than when I use BricxCC COM1.

Pat LaVarre