 Robotics / 9417
  On the subject of gluing

I note Marios comment; (...) I agree with cut saw and drill, but glue? So far, everything I have tried remains "fragile". I remember, a long time ago, before people used glue for "recreational" purposes, there were glues for models which actually (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

When using Crazy Glue, I found the plastic was melting ie: collor runnoff. -Rich (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

I tried Plasti Zap (found at Hobby Lobby) and it worked great. To test it, I glued two ruined 2x4 plates together. When I tried to pull them apart, the bricks actually broke before the bond did. I was so thankful that this stuff worked because I was (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

I use a cyanoacryilic glue (like Loctite) and I'm very happy with the results. Some Duplo I glued years ago survived my two kids' heavy use and is still there in good shape. All of my homebrew sensors have been glued that way. Mario (...) I (...) (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

Hello there, It looks like it would be very easy to ask the master builders of TLC or TLC themself of what kind of glue they use to build their model. And they use also a hammer to seal the pieces together. I don't know where to write them about (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

(...) I don't know how helpful this is, bu John Kelly used to work in the model shop, and posted about what they used (at the time): (URL) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

(...) John Kelly is more experienced with this than I am, but I did spend a few hours in the model shop once... :-) The 'glue' is MEK: Methyl Ethyl Keytone. (Spelling?) Very nasty stuff, dangerous fumes, etc. Vent fans are placed within about a foot (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

Plastruct makes a glue (actually a solvent) that works well with ABS (along with most other Styrenes). I believe the solvent is based on Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Fumes are pretty nasty, and I believe the solvent is classified as a carcinogen in (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

"Dave Baum" <dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com> wrote in message news:dbaum-281299145...act.com... (...) Hey, what isn't ;-) Have fun, Arjen (24 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

(...) The fans are to meet OSHA guidelines, but I would -not- recommend working with the stuff in a enclosed space. It is dammed potent stuff... (...) That, or Slaters (UK) make MEK_PAK, which works great, or laccure(sp) thinner is also MEK. You (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

I got a pint of Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) at Home Depot about 2 years ago... I will try mixing some with extra plastic to increase the viscosity. I have a darkroom exhaust fan and that's my place for such work. How about the typical plastic plumbing (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

Harvey's MP-6 MultiPurpose Cement has worked well for me. Its label says that it is for ABS, PVC, and CPVC pipe ... and contains methyl ethyl keytone, tetrahydrofuran, cyclohexanone, and CPVC resin. It's thick enough that it isn't necessary to add (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

(...) I brushed the glue on. The glue came with its own brush in the cap, but this was a bit unwieldy. Instead I used one of the small brushes typically used for painting models. In general, I had good luck brushing the glue onto the cylidrical (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: On the subject of gluing

Terry, I use acetone for gluing. I put a piece of blotter paper in a small metal container, and add just enough MEK or acetone to make it very wet. Then I push to bottom of a brick into the blotter paper and hold it there for 1-2 seconds. Then snap (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics)