 Robotics / 9440
Re: On the subject of gluing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 22:16:21 GMT

John Kelly is more experienced with this than I am, but I did spend a few
hours in the model shop once...  :-)

The 'glue' is MEK:  Methyl Ethyl Keytone.  (Spelling?)  Very nasty stuff,
dangerous fumes, etc.  Vent fans are placed within about a foot of the
workspace to vent the fumes.  Rubber hammers are often used to bang the pieces
into place, this saves on thumbs and fingers.  You'd be surprised how sore
your hands can get after putting several thousand pieces into place, since you
always want a tight fit between the bricks.

The fans are to meet OSHA guidelines, but I would -not- recommend working with
the stuff in a enclosed space.  It is dammed potent stuff...

I think straight MEK is available in Testor's Model Cement, although I haven't
tried it yet...  You'd have to be careful that it doesn't drip and run
though...

That, or Slaters (UK) make MEK_PAK, which works great, or laccure(sp) thinner
is also MEK.  You likely can get MEK from a hardware store, ask them or read
the label.

James Powell