 Robotics / 9420
Re: On the subject of gluing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 17:10:35 GMT

I use a cyanoacryilic glue (like Loctite) and I'm very happy with the
results. Some Duplo I glued years ago survived my two kids' heavy use and is
still there in good shape. All of my homebrew sensors have been glued that
way.

Mario

Nick Goetz <ngoetz@iquest.net> wrote:
I tried Plasti Zap (found at Hobby Lobby) and it worked great. To test it, • I
glued two ruined 2x4 plates together. When I tried to pull them apart, the
bricks actually broke before the bond did. I was so thankful that this • stuff
worked because I was able to repair a 15 year old baseplate that lost a
corner. Good Luck (and don't glue your fingers together ;-) )

-Nick

Richard Earley wrote in message ...

When using Crazy Glue, I found the plastic was melting ie: collor • runnoff.

-Rich

In lugnet.robotics, "John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> writes:
I note Marios comment;

3. Plastic type
What's the chemical composition of Lego parts?
(Already thinking about self-made sensors, I want to prepare the • proper
glue...).

ABS, a polymer of polystyrene: Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene. Very • easy
cut, saw, drill and glue :-)

I agree with cut saw and drill, but glue? So far, everything I have • tried
remains "fragile". I remember, a long time ago, before people used glue • for
"recreational" purposes, there were glues for models which actually • disolved
the plastic slightly creating more of a weld than a gluing I can't seem • to
find it anymore. And I have not had a lot of luck with epoxies either. • Lego
bricks seem to resist gluing.

Anyone got any glue brands that they know work well?

JB