 Robotics / 8861
RE: Exploration Mars Availalble?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 18:18:16 GMT

Hmmm... there are two entirely different pictures in the catalog. One shows
a vehicle with large linked threads. The other shows a base station and a
rover with 6 wheels. That picture has all kinds of extra parts - the yellow
worm gear boxes on the vehicle, the little camera with the Lego studs, the
legs of the base station etc. There doesn't seem to be an overlap between
the new pieces in the two pictures.

Yes, little Webcams can be had for as low as $20 in your favorite computer
super store. But I would think Lego has more overhead, and additional cost.
Given the contents of previous expanision packs, I find it hard to believe
that you will get the camera and all the extra pieces in an expansion set
for $50.

And then it will be interesting to see what kind of computer interface it
uses. USB? Parallel? Serial? Share a port with the IR transmitter?

I suspect the rover is driven from the PC. You use your joystick, mouse, or
cursor keys to explore your room by watching a little B&W 160x120 image on
your computer screen.

We'll just have to wait and see...

Tilman

Tom Boucher wrote:

Hmmm  - For the First time I've seen this in the Online Lego Catalog.

Exploration Mars is supposed to be available 11/99.  It's 12/99.  Anyone
found it yet?

The Exploration Mars pack appears to be out in Europe. There is a
picture at

http://www.lego.com/catalog/eur/productzoom.asp?number=9736 .
Interestingly,
it is available from Lego Service in Europe, but I couldn't find it at the
WorldShop site as of this writing.

Looks as though the RCX is built into a (static?) "lander", and there is a
little "rover" (two motors, six wheels, and maybe two of the worm
gear cases
that you can't get in the US anymore). It isn't clear whether the
"rover" is
supposed to be tethered to the RCX by the three electrical cables (two for
the motors and one for the thingy on the front whatever it is) that trail
behind the "rover" in the picture. If so, it would be ever-so-slightly
reminiscent of the remote sub in the alternate model for the Technic Space
Shuttle set. Also looks like the "rover" is meant to drive up on
top of the
RCX-lander.

The picture isn't good enough for me to see what the thingy on
the front of
the "rover" is -- I somehow doubt that it is a video camera
(would probably
make the set waaaay more expensive than the $54 figure being tossed around
here), but it doesn't look much like anything I've seen before.

There was *supposed* to be a video camera as a separate release. What
follows is from a Lego press release dated Feb 1999, and things have
obviously changed a bit since then…

"…On 1st May, LEGO MINDSTORMS is extending its starter kit with
two exciting
new models.  One of them is the "Exploration Mars" set; the other is a
brand-new digital camera. Two fabulous   products that lift the Robotics
Invention System to an entirely new level.
"The camera is part of a completely new LEGO brick. When it is
attached to a
four-metre-long cable,  it can transmit pictures from the Mars exploration
vehicle direct to a PC, where the pictures can be  saved and edited for
later use. And children can also use the camera to send pictures to their
friends  all over the world via the Internet. The Exploration Mars set has
various Mars vehicles that can be sent  out on no fewer than 12 different
missions."

Has the camera been included with the Exploration Mars pack? Or
is the photo
indicating "if you had the camera, you could put it on the front of the
vehicle like this..."

Cheers

JP