 Robotics / 886
Re: legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 21:38:43 GMT

Lageson, Tom wrote in message <813599F6EBBFD011B40400805F310615DD6B9A@dcnts05.tennantco.com>...
Pardon me for butting in on this thread, but hasn't Markus written a new
operating system that doesn't use the Lego firmware?  Isn't he operating
against the chip?  As long as Markus didn't copy the firmware, his operating
system should be able to have the same functionality as Lego's firmware,
right?  Isn't this how one chip base (intel) can have multiple operating
systems (OS/2, Linux, DRDos, etc) running on the same chip that provide the
same essential functionality?

The way I see it (and I am no lawyer), Lego sold me a H8/3297 chip wrapped
in a hunk of plastic compatible with Lego blocks.  They also sold me an
operating system (the firmware) and a development environment (the cute
building block software).  If I decide that I want to install another
operating system on that chip (legOS) and use a different development
environment (NQCC), how could they stop me?  It may invalidate my support
from Lego if I have problems when the alternative operating system is used,
but isn't that a risk that the consumer can take?

This is, in fact, the nub of the question at hand. If I buy ANY single
board computer with proprietary firmware on it, I can choose to replace
the firmware and as a consequence lose any support the vendor may provide.

I don't really think the legOS situation is much different. As long as
substantial reverse-engineering and plagerism is not done, then there is
no real issue.

A close parallel springs to mind. The older engineering types among us may
remember the HP41 and the "synthetic programming" we could do on it. There
was even a magazine and special ROM devoted to hacking this calculator!

In any case, the group made it clear that the activity was NOMAS, which
stood for NOt MAnufacturer Supported - if you fried your HP41, too bad!

In fact, Hewlett Packard gave some unofficial support for the project and
the HP41 users group wish list was considered when the HP48 flagship
was designed.

Which brings me to my point. TLG has a golden opportunity to capitalize
on the dedication of the legOS developers and even release an "advanced"
product - although the support might be a bit hairy. I can't see teaching
university level real-time programming with the Mindstorms interface, but
a professor could use the RIS and legOS as a great intro to realtime with
not too much trouble.

Hmmmm - is anybody thinking the same kind of thoughts......

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

The train stops at the train station,
The bus stops at the bus station,