 Robotics / 961
Re: legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:58:50 GMT

More seriously, while I know some people on the list have suggested
elementary/middle school projects based on Legos, is anyone else
developing courses based on Mindstorms at the university/college level?
What kinds of projects, if any, are being considered (or would those of
you not at schools suggest?) Duke Computer Science is considering the
idea, since Legos would allow us mechanically challenged CPS majors to
program robots without worrying too much about the hardware end. The
appearance of legOS and nqcc have been very encouraging from this point
of view,  and I was wondering what kind of progress/ideas others have made.

I have brought my Mindstorm in to my Information Systems class to demonstrait
robotics (I think this crop of students are brain dead) and problem solving to
mixed reviews.  The time it takes to get down learn it and "play" seems to be
something the students won't put out,

I also had a great time with a 4th, 5th, grade mixed age class.  much more
interested and willing to try something.   I am unable to run any of the
software that came with the mindstorms so I have been very happly dependent on
nqcc.  I had no problem teaching my 10 year old to write in it.  he has picked
up nqcc and is getting better at the engineering.  His robots have to "catch
air" and do 360's or more and survive.

Another question:Can you work with the IR tower with an iMac??