 Robotics / 883
RE: legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 21:24:50 GMT

Pardon me for butting in on this thread, but hasn't Markus written a new
operating system that doesn't use the Lego firmware?  Isn't he operating
against the chip?  As long as Markus didn't copy the firmware, his operating
system should be able to have the same functionality as Lego's firmware,
right?  Isn't this how one chip base (intel) can have multiple operating
systems (OS/2, Linux, DRDos, etc) running on the same chip that provide the
same essential functionality?

The way I see it (and I am no lawyer), Lego sold me a H8/3297 chip wrapped
in a hunk of plastic compatible with Lego blocks.  They also sold me an
operating system (the firmware) and a development environment (the cute
building block software).  If I decide that I want to install another
operating system on that chip (legOS) and use a different development
environment (NQCC), how could they stop me?  It may invalidate my support
from Lego if I have problems when the alternative operating system is used,
but isn't that a risk that the consumer can take?

I have a lot of ponderous questions, but if someone can answer them, I would
be grateful.

Also, I want to say that I am very thankful for all of the work that Kekoa,
Markus, and others have done to figure out the RCX and its inputs.  It
continues to astound me at the level of technical genius that resides in
this list.

Tom Lageson
tml@tennantco.com