 Robotics / 882
Re: legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:43:30 GMT

Errrr.... Where does computer stop and _software_ start.
Where is my brain today?
-Paul

Paul Speed wrote:

I guess more specifically, where does computer stop and
hardware start?  According to the law, that is.
        -Paul

Eric Hodges wrote:

As I understand it, microcode is protected as software.  It doesn't matter
how you store it or distribute it, but the way it is used.  If it consists
of instructions for a computer, then it is considered to be a computer
program and is subject to copyright law.

Why would it be any other way?  Why would microcode or firmware be exempt
from copyright protection?  How could anyone safely invest in the
development of either of those if they were?

-----Original Message-----
From:   Paul Speed [SMTP:pspeed@augustschell.com]
Sent:   Monday, November 30, 1998 12:06 PM
To:     'lego-robotics@crynwr.com'
Subject:        Re: legOS

Just curious, and since you seem to have some information
handy, where is the line between firmware and microcode drawn?  Or
is microcode also considered firmware?

        -Paul

Eric Hodges wrote:

It's the law.  Software isn't defined by the media it's stored in or the
way it is stored.  It doesn't make any legal difference if you distribute
the software on a CD or printed on the back of a T-shirt.  The copyright
laws consider software to be any "set of statements or instructions to be
used directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring about a • certain
result."( 17 U.S.C ? 101)  Software distributed on ROM, EPROM, EEPROM, • etc.
is still covered by the copyright laws.