 Robotics / 887
Re: legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 21:47:15 GMT

In reality i dont see what the point of this discussion is:

.. the work being done on LegOS is only likely to sell more MS units.. (since
you need the RCX to use LegOS .. so TLG is not likely to loose money because of
the work done by LegOS or NQC .. therefore the licensing agreement may never
come up for interpretation ....

.. if someone takes the LegOS work and mates it with their own implementation of
teh RCX brick, and attempts to sell that as a product.. THEN i can see TLG
having a problem with it..  otherwise i'd think that they would be happy to have
a community of developers making free "value-added" software for their hardware.

-- Ricardo Lagos
.. just MY $0.02

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:36:58 -0500
From: "Brian Stormont" <brian@projo.com>
To: lego <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Subject: Re: legOS

Assuming firmware is "software", the question still remains whether the
licensing agreement that came with the Mindstorms kit refers to only the
PC-based software (which was my interpretation when I read it) or whether it
refers to the firmware too.  From my reading of the agreement, I don't think • it
is obvious that it also covers the firmware.

In any case, there still is nothing legally preventing someone from replacing
their firmware with another version of firmware. The licensing agreement only
dealt with copying and reverse-engineering the software Lego provided.  As for
what "software" that is, the lawyers will have to argue...

-brian

Eric Hodges wrote:

It's the law.  Software isn't defined by the media it's stored in or the
way it is stored.  It doesn't make any legal difference if you distribute
the software on a CD or printed on the back of a T-shirt.  The copyright
laws consider software to be any "set of statements or instructions to be
used directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring about a certain
result."( 17 U.S.C ? 101)  Software distributed on ROM, EPROM, EEPROM, etc.
is still covered by the copyright laws.