 Robotics / 835
Re: Worm Drive Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 02:29:44 GMT

John Scott Kjellman wrote:

Just to toss in my three cents (inflation adjusted to 1998 rates ;-)

It seems there are two more options that might be a little easier:

1) My kids have gotten a couple of Lego sets that contain a long square
shaft that has teeth on it.  It mates to a large brick that contains a
small gear attached to a shaft.  If you insert the rod into the brick
and turn the shaft the rod moves in/out (or up/down, depending on its
orientation).  This has a travel of about 8 inches.

This is an excellent solution for travel up to 7 inches or so, with a
couple of minor drawbacks.

1) This part doesn't seem to be in production any more. I got a few
copies, courtesy of Bill Katz, but had to trade away one joint of my
little finger to get them. (1) I think one of the big service station
sets uses them.

2) the force required to drive the pinion gear and make the rack move is
rather high, at least in the copies I have. (2)

Pitsco sells the 1x4 tile with top teeth in service packs. I think 10-14
tiles, and about 8 worms(3) per pack. That may be a feasible solution,
although it's definitely thicker and bulkier than the integral rack
brick KJohn talks of.

Take care,
KJohn

1 - well, not really, but you know what I mean.

2 - and I sure am not going to lube it with anything.

3 - more worms than you need, I think....
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.