 Robotics / 6751
Re: The Scout brick: smart or dumb? (was: Robotics Discovery Set)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:47:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (John Barnes) writes:
[...] What is behaviour? A particular
sequence of moves? Just how many program steps can there be?[...]

4 x 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 = 4096

Six program steps x 4 move types at each step. Remove a few trivial
ones and maybe you get to 3000?

(This is a reply to the orphan message http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=6750)

My point was, that his description did not specify what was missing. He said
nothing about "program steps" and imagining such steps gets us no closer to the
truth. Here is Robert's text again so you can read it:

In lugnet.robotics, Robert Eddings writes:
[...] The "3000 different behaviors" is a bit misleading. The Scout
has four preset actions each for motion, touch, and light (listed
below). The different combinations of theses is what they mean by
behaviors.

-MOTION- | -TOUCH- | -LIGHT-
forward  | reverse | seek     [presumably "forward" = "straight" -ed]
zigzag   | avoid   | avoid
circle   | waitfor | waitfor
loop     | brake   | brake

[...] The Scout documentation says that the RCX can send a number
value between 1-12 to the Scout via IR. It is not said what this
does but I can assume this controls the 12 preset actions. I will
have to test this to find out. [...]

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13