 Robotics / 6739
Re: The Scout brick: smart or dumb? (was: Robotics Discovery Set)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:15:24 GMT

I have to wonder:  How dumbed down *is* the blue Scout brick compared to • the
yellow RCX brick?  (I don't mean the shipping software, I mean the brick
itself at the hardware/firmware level.)  Is the Scout 80% as capable as • the
RCX?  60%?  20%?  What has the Scout got for guts?

The "3000 different behaviors" is a bit misleading. The Scout has four
preset actions each for motion, touch, and light (listed below). The
different combinations of theses is what they mean by behaviors.

-MOTION- | -TOUCH- | -LIGHT-
forward  | reverse | seek
zigzag   | avoid   | avoid
circle   | waitfor | waitfor
loop     | brake   | brake

If that's the extent of the behaviors you can program a Scout with I think
it's more on the toy side than the RCX.  With the alternate development
platforms of the RCX (NQC, LegOS, etc) I'd say it's at least three times
more functional than the scout.

It looks like its sensor input is limited as well.  I don't think I could
attach a light sensor to one of the other sensor inputs, or a rotation
sensor, etc...

Regards,
    Jim