 Robotics / 6658
6657  |  6659
Subject:
Robotics Discovery Set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 20:10:46 GMT

I bought the LEGO Robotics Discovery Set yesterday. The programmable
brick in this set is called the Scout and has a blue cover.

Quickly, for those that don't know, the Scout is programmable from
buttons on the brick. It has two sensor ports and two motor ports. A
light sensor is built into the front of the brick and does not use a
sensor port.

I have had the Mindstorms RIS for about nine months now. I bought the
RDS Scout mainly as a simple drone for my RCX robots to play hide and
seek with.

LegoMindstorms.com does have some basic information on the RDS set but
to my surprise, there is no information on some apparent features of the
RDS on the web site or in the included documentation. For example:

1. There is a "red light" that is built into the front of the brick. I
can assume that this serves the same purpose as the red light on the
light sensor for the RCX but this is not documented.

2. There is a dark plastic section on the brick that is in the same
position as the IR on the RCX. Strangely, this is ignored in the
documentation. The box says that the Scout can communicate with an RCX
but this is said in the well known "LEGO vague" text that can also be
taken to mean that this is an add on feature.

Note: The dark plastic section on the brick (presumed to be the IR
interface) wraps around to the top of the Scout brick. This may mean
that even if the brick is mounted in a vertical position that there may
still be a direct line of sight for IR communication.

If anyone has more information on the IR capabilities for the Scout or
would like to speculate, let me know.

If anyone would like more information on the RDS that I have gathered so
far, just let me know and I will whip up a web page.

Also, I control my RCX via the IR port on my Palm IIIx and would like to
do the same on the Scout so we can go there too.

Looking forward to an informative thread on these subjects...
Robert Eddings