 Robotics / 6485
6484  |  6486
Subject:
robotic rovers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 00:45:05 GMT

Hello all,

I'm trying to construct a rover to make its way around a household environment
and avoid obstacles reliably.  I'm experimenting with several chassis designs
to find one to my liking.  (Okay, so I build one design, try it for five
minutes, then take it apart and build another one.  Such is LEGO.)  Anybody
have a design that they're particularly happy with?

I managed to get hold of two Dacta rotation sensors so that I can keep track
of linear and rotary motion.  I've worked out a few pointers that I keep in
mind as I try a new design and I'm trying to include as many in each design as
I can:
1) The rover should have a wide wheel base to make accurate turns
2) It should preferably have a low center of gravity
3) It should have room somewhere on it to mount a variant of Leo's
differential transmission to interface with the rotation sensors

I've posted an LDraw file of one of my rover designs on
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/models/?n=210 if anyone's interested.  Don't
feel obligated to post an entire design on here like I did; suggestions or
ideas of any sort would be welcome.