 Robotics / 6145
Re: Not that you care...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 03:41:45 GMT

"John A. deVries II" wrote:
merely be a gadfly.  In particular,  I've got this suspicion that mapping
needs a new paradigm, one that -expects- the map to change (you've moved
the furniture, dropped a book, someone blew up the mountain <grin>, etc.)
If anyone can direct me to some fresh ideas, I'd be most interested.

  I hope you'll post anything intersting you find/invent to the
newsgroup, since I am interested in that too and I believe there are
more of us.

  when I get around to actually build some robot, I plan to make a big
deal about the representation of the robots environment inside of
robot...

Somewhat along those lines & realizing that the amount of memory in the RCX
is quite limited,  is there some way to create "persistent objects" (well,

  I would suggest legos or at least ncq for any programming (or VB?).

  since the rcx resources are limited, I thought about rcx as being the
mobile agent and having another part (the non-mobile but with MUCH more
resources) in desktop computer. they would communicate important stuff
via the same way the rcx is programmed (infrared). of course, it does
not end with one rcx - using the 'real' computer as sort of main brain
they could do much more then if you'd use rcx only.

  my point is, that even when you have limited amount of data that rcx
can get and trasfer (the infrared communication is not very fast), you
can get into very computationally expensive algorithms... (like finding
the shortes (or some other) path etc...

  one of my favourite projects (and guys, that was real work:-) was to
desing and implement the communication cards for industrial computer -
the cards needed to know all the network conections to transfer data, be
completely self-regulating, dynamically find out where and how to get
the data transferred, no matter how the network topology changed (that
was to be primarily wireless network). the network card (where all the
network stuff was implemented) was 8051 with 64kB data and 64kB program
memory (and some EPROM) and it was really busy in-there even with less
then 10 cards communicating.

erik