 Robotics / 6076
Re: Darn those definitions (was: The new Super Car)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 18:11:02 GMT

to pointlessly extend the thread even more, here are actual definitions and
not vague etymologies.

quote:
"hydraulic \Hy*drau"lic\, a. [F. hydraulique, L. hydraulicus, fr. Gr. ?, ?,
a water organ; "y`dwr water + ? flute, pipe. See Hydra.] Of or pertaining to
hydraulics, or to fluids in motion; conveying, or acting by, water; as, an
hydraulic clock, crane, or dock."
/quote
----------------
Note the mention of "fluids in motion"
----------------
quote:
"fluid \Flu"id\, n. A fluid substance; a body whose particles move easily
among themselves.
Note: Fluid is a generic term, including liquids and gases as species.
Water, air, and steam are fluids. By analogy, the term is sometimes applied
to electricity and magnetism, as in phrases electric fluid, magnetic fluid,
though not strictly appropriate."
/quote

------prior message left below

From: John A. deVries II <zozzles@lanl.gov>