 Robotics / 6080
Re: Darn Those Definitions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 18:57:42 GMT

Jonathan Woodward <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
   -Obviously.  However, in my dictionary (Columbia), "fluid" includes
both gases and liquids, and "hydraulic" says "moved or operated by a
fluid".  Now, I completely agree that "hydraulic" _ought_ to mean "moved
or operated by a liquid", but that isn't what my dictionary says.  Yours
may differ.

Merriam-Webster and OED both say that the word pertains to "water or other
liquid".