 Robotics / 6103
Re: Not that you care...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 23:15:56 GMT

Somewhat along those lines & realizing that the amount of memory in the • RCX
is quite limited,  is there some way to create "persistent objects" (well,
even storing a couple variables would be interesting) using the standard
firmware/Spirit?  I don't see anything that looks like such a thing in the
RC command listing, particularly not one that is going to survive a given
program being stopped or the RCX being powered down (I don't expect the
timer value to be of much help here).  If not, I presume that legOS or
hforth or Jini/MindStorms or any of the other firmware-replacements can do
such a thing:  after all, the firmware itself is persistent.

The only way I can think of is to fake it.  Using the API approach, there's
no reason why you couldn't define some persistent data that your code (in
VB, C++ or whatever) would write to disk as appropriate.  The idea is that a
subsequent load of the program would read the previously written data and
use it to set things to match where they were before.  I assume, based on
the normal meaning of "persistence", that this is what you want to do.
There's no reason that the data couldn't be anything that the API allows you
to access.

There's lots of potential doing this, if you stop to think about it...

-- Steve