 Robotics / 6082
6081  |  6083
Subject:
Not that you care...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 19:21:34 GMT

If anyone isn't unsure, I concede that I goofed with respect to the word
"fluid".  I still stand staunchly by the distinction between "hydraulic"
and "pneumatic".

Apologies and all that to whom they are appropriate.

-----------------------------------

A small introduction:

I'm one of those middle-aged electrical/software engineer types who work at
the Los Alamos National Laboratory (much in the news lately).  Near the
beginning of this decade there were a couple of articles in the most
mundane of the I.E.E.E. publications about the LEGO robotics projects that
were in progress at MIT.  Having been hooked on robotics since I was about
8 years old, I started buying LEGO...

I now have somewhere between $2000 and $3000 worth of the stuff.  I kept
finding that the Newest Kit(s) had parts that previous ones didn't and that
they certainly looked like I sure needed to have them.  This wasn't
entirely a compulsive disorder, however:  I've built the old Super Car and
the big pneumatic truck amongst a lot of the other kits.  Whilst collecting
all of this stuff I never got around to building a HandyBoard or such stuff
-- in fact, I've been much more a part of the BEAM robotics schtick (see,
for example, http://www.serve.com/heretics).

Now that I have a MindStorms kit, I expect to finally make some progress in
the area of robotics & make a decent contribution to this list rather than
merely be a gadfly.  In particular,  I've got this suspicion that mapping
needs a new paradigm, one that -expects- the map to change (you've moved
the furniture, dropped a book, someone blew up the mountain <grin>, etc.)
If anyone can direct me to some fresh ideas, I'd be most interested.

Somewhat along those lines & realizing that the amount of memory in the RCX
is quite limited,  is there some way to create "persistent objects" (well,
even storing a couple variables would be interesting) using the standard
firmware/Spirit?  I don't see anything that looks like such a thing in the
RC command listing, particularly not one that is going to survive a given
program being stopped or the RCX being powered down (I don't expect the
timer value to be of much help here).  If not, I presume that legOS or
hforth or Jini/MindStorms or any of the other firmware-replacements can do
such a thing:  after all, the firmware itself is persistent.

BTW: the link to
http://hitachi.eps.bertelsmann.de/hitadb/micro/getdoclist.html?key=16
(H8/300 manuals) seems to be broken (at least just this moment -- just
obeying the suggestion to check the web site first, y'see) otherwise I'd
have a better idea how memory is organized in the RCX processor.  It seems
that one of the things that would most greatly affect the usefulness of an
RCX-like product would be the amount of persistent/total memory there is
available.  I realize that having more or different inputs/outputs and the
nature of the processor itself are big factors, but if those happen to be
fixed then memory has -got- to be the biggy as far as "intelligence" or
"ability" goes.

This could easily be a part of the dreaded upgrade & as a result wouldn't
affect much else...

Zoz

John A. deVries II
zozzles@lanl.gov